- Intel to purchase Infineon's Wireless Solutions Business, called WLS, in a cash transaction valued at approximately $1.4 billion. The deal is expected to close in the first quarter of 2011.
- WLS sale enables Infineon to expand leading position in markets for automotive, industry and security technologies.
- WLS will operate as a standalone business. Intel is committed to serving WLS' existing customers, including support for ARM-based platforms.
- The acquisition expands Intel's current Wi-Fi and 4G WiMAX offerings to include Infineon's 3G capabilities and supports Intel's plans to accelerate LTE. The acquired technology will be used in Intel® Core processor-based laptops, and myriad of Intel® Atom™ processor-based devices, including smartphones, netbooks, tablets and embedded computers.
- The deal aligns with Internet connectivity pillar of Intel's computing strategy.
View the Full Story
(includes the full story with related links)