Intel Corporation (“Intel”) started its operations in India by setting up a Branch Office in Bangalore in 1988. Subsequently, Bangalore based Intel Technology India Private Limited (“Intel India”), Intel's largest non-manufacturing site outside of the US, commenced its operations in 1997. Intel India's workforce has grown to about 3500 in 2012.
Intel's investments in India to date have been around US$ 2 billion. Intel India’s main areas of operations include Sales and Marketing, Product Design and Development, systems software, IT applications development, factory automation tools and Venture Capital.
- Intel India’s engineering operations include design & development of key Intel products and platforms– smartphones, tablets, System-on-a-Chip (SoCs), Ultrabooks, notebooks and servers. The centre has developed capabilities in silicon design & validation, platform software and platform hardware. In addition, it has a significant presence in the areas of enterprise applications development like supply chain management, business intelligence; and factory automation solutions to meet internal needs.
- Intel India has gained significant credibility by successfully delivering on critical products for Intel. In the server space, the India team has played a key role in delivering multiple server program to success with a recent being, Intel’s first 10-core processor based on 32-nanometer - Intel® Xeon™ E7 Processor (code-named Westmere-EX).
- Likewise, India team has been playing an important role towards contributing to the last 7 generations of Intel® CoreTM processors (for example Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge).
- In the new area like Smartphone, India team’s engineering contributions span across platform and product development, PSI, power & performance software, SoC development, hard IP and soft IP among others.
- In the silicon research space, India team made significant contributions to a path-breaking research prototype - Claremont NTV (Near Threshold Voltage) processor powered by a small solar cell.
- Intel India has a strong and growing base of software developers across a range of software projects in server management, ultra mobile, graphics, platform, IT applications and factory automation.
- Intel India’s dedicated Innovation initiative named Ideas to Reality Group (I2R), started in 2007, focuses on developing IA based solutions for the emerging markets. Some of the prominent solutions that came from I2R include Donlin Creek or Grasberg, an IA-based end-to-end service which delivers personalized interactive content (news, videos, games, alerts etc) in a unique dedicated, always-ON display channel on the screen. Another prominent solution from I2R is Intel Atom-based Intel ® Universal Handheld Device.
- The Intel® Universal Handheld Device (UHD) that was designed in India, enables design and development of an embedded handheld appliance that addresses various target market segments (BFSI (Banking, Financial Services and Insurance), Retail, Industrial, Sales force automation etc.,) for the India market.
In the area of entrepreneurship, Intel Capital has been making strategic investments in companies to help stimulate technological innovation in India and drive continued growth of the country’s Information Technology (IT) industry in line with $250M funding commitment in India.
Great Place to Work
Intel India’s value proposition of creating technology that touches peoples’ lives has always had a consistent appeal for both, perspective as well as current employees. Intel India follows best people practices, offers meaningful and work life effectiveness and provides energizing and challenging work environment to employees. Intel India has earned a unique distinction of being there in the Top 3 for four years in a row by Great Place To Work Institute and ranked #2 in 2011. Intel India was also ranked #2 in the Industry Category of the IT sector besides being recognized as the Best Company for Women, Best Company for Work-Life Balance, Best Company for Leadership Development, and for Excellence in Corporate Special Responsibility in the Special Category.
Corporate Social Responsibility
As a leader in CSR, the company integrates social responsibility and uncompromising integrity into everything it does, working to advance people and better the planet through active commitment to education and environmental sustainability. A majority of Intel India employees participate in community volunteering activities in areas of environment and education. Intel in association with various governments and industry bodies has already trained over 1.6 million teachers, teacher educators and student teachers on the use of Information and Communications Technology to facilitate effective teaching and classroom learning under Intel Teach Program in India. Intel through its education programs engages with state governments to accelerate the use of technology in areas such as education, healthcare and e-governance. The Intel® Higher Education Program, designed to prepare students for careers in critical technology areas, has reached out to over 20,000 students and 2,500 faculties across 300 institutions in India.
Intel in India
Intel strives to improve education, healthcare, entrepreneurship and government services in developing countries worldwide by accelerating access to computers, connectivity and localized Internet content. Intel India facilitated the formation of a World Ahead Alliance with 22 likeminded organizations who work together to proliferate the adoption of Information and Communication Technology in India.
Intel Technology India Pvt. Ltd, 23-56 P, Devarabeesnahalli, Sarjapura, Outer Ring Road, Varthur Hobli, Bangalore- 560 103 India